Dick McNultySFC Kenneth "Tim" Edward Wood USA
POW - February 13, 1951
Died in Captivity - April 10, 1951
Sergeant First Class Wood was a member of Battery A, 15th Field Artillery Battalion, 2nd Infantry Division. He was taken Prisoner of War while fighting the enemy near Hoengsong, South Korea on February 13, 1951 and died while a prisoner on April 10, 1951. Sergeant First Class Wood was awarded the Prisoner of War Medal, the Korean Service Medal, the United Nations Service Medal, the National Defense Service Medal and the Republic of Korea War Service Medal.

This tribute is for my uncle, Kenneth E. Wood. Everyone in the family always called him "Tim."
By Debbe Petro, Niece - Korea-Cold War Families of the Missing Family Member

I was just a baby when he left for Korea so I never really knew him. My first memory of him would be sometime between February and April of 1951. I remember laying on the livingroom floor with my pillow when the phone rang and my mom answered it. I believe it must have been my grandparents calling. She started sobbing and then I started crying because she was. That was the day we found out Uncle Tim was missing in action. I would have been 2 years old at the time but remember it like it was yesterday!

From the stories I've been told, he was a kind and compassionate young man that loved camping and anything to do with the water. He went to Newaygo High School before enlisting in the Army. He was stationed at Fort Benning, GA, came home on leave and in June of 1950 he left from Muskegon, MI to return to the Army. That is the last time any of the family saw him.

I have recently found some of Uncle Tim's letters that my mom had saved and in one dated Dec. 29, 1950 he stated,

"I am hoping that things will turn out pretty soon. It doesn't look to me like they want to do anything about it. I suppose they do but I wish they would get busy."

In the next letter dated January 15, 1951 he wrote,

"From the news we got today, we are pushing the chinks back. That's all right. Things have been quiet here for a couple days. Instead of going south maybe we will go north. I hope so anyway."

The last letter is dated January 25, 1951. He says,

"The month of January is almost gone and it seems like they are flying by now. I hear that a lot of people are being drafted now. Isn't that too bad now. Received your letter a couple days ago and was glad. I hear they are going to send more men to Korea now. It's about time. Now that we are almost back to Pusan where we started they are going to send help. I wish they would give this rock back to the Indians. They say it gets spring or starts about March here so that isn't far off. It will make things alot better."

Other parts of the letters asked about deer hunting, Christmas, New Years and whether we had made any snowmen yet.

He was captured on February 13, 1951 during the Battle of Hoengsong, 19 days after this last letter was written. He died on April 10, 1951 just 10 days shy of his 20th birthday.

If anyone reading this may have known him, I would love to hear from you. There are so many unanswered questions!
My email address is: debbep1[at]yahoo[dot]com

© 1950-2019 Korea-Cold War Families of The Missing, Inc.
All rights Reserved Internationally